Northern Territory Government visa nomination

Update on NT GSM nomination applications

The Northern Territory has now received an additional 200 subclass 491 nomination allocations for the 2021-22 program year.

MigrationNT continues to receive and assess applications under the existing eligibility criteria. You must ensure that you meet both the NT nomination criteria and the standard Home Affairs criteria at the time of lodging your nomination application and throughout the application process. It is your responsibility to ensure that all documents, including English test results, skills assessments etc, remain valid.

You should lodge your application as soon as possible after meeting the eligibility criteria. Applications may not be assessed prior to visa expiry dates. If your visa is expiring you should seek professional advice on your visa options and ensure that you remain lawful during your stay in Australia.

What is a Northern Territory Government nomination?

Australia's Northern Territory (NT) Government can nominate you for a skilled visa if you:

  • meet Australian Government’s standard requirements, and
  • meet NT Government’s nomination eligibility, and
  • commit to living and working in the Territory within your skilled occupation for at least three years upon the grant of your visa.

What you need to know

NT Government will decide whether you are offered a nomination.

A condition of NT Government nomination is that you agree to work, live and settle for at least three years in the NT after your visa has been granted.

The NT Government will consider your employment prospects in the NT and whether they meet the needs of NT industries when making a decision to offer you a nomination.

A nomination by the NT Government is not a job guarantee.

Occupations on the NT Migration Occupation List are not job vacancies.

You will be responsible for finding your own employment and accommodation once you arrive and settle in the NT. The NT Government can provide information and some assistance to nominated skilled migrants.

By applying for a nomination you must understand that the NT Government:

  • supports a nomination solely to the NT and does not apply outside of the NT
  • is not responsible for finding you employment, accommodation or providing financial assistance
  • is not liable for any inaccuracies or omissions in the information it provides you relating to your application, nor are its employees
  • will not issue release letters for transfer to other states / territories outside of the Northern Territory.

Who grants your visa?

The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs grants your visa.

The NT Government does not approve or grant visas.

General Skilled Migration visas

The NT Government participates in the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa and Skilled Nominated (subclass 190) visa schemes.

These visas are generally for young, skilled people with good levels of English.

What is the Skilled Work Regional (Provisional) (subclass 491) visa?

You will need a nomination from an Australian state or territory government such as Australia's NT Government or an eligible family member.

This is a provisional five year visa that will allow you and your dependant family members to live, work and study in a regional area such as the NT.

If you are nominated for the subclass 491 by the NT Government, you and your dependant family members will be expected to live, work and study in the NT for at least three years before qualifying for a permanent residency pathway.

You may be subject to reporting commitments by the Department of Home Affairs.

You may have to provide supporting evidence and / or attend an interview with the Department of Home Affairs to show that you are or have been living and working in regional Australia.

The NT Government may also conduct independent compliance checks and / or surveys to ensure that you are still living and working in the NT.

What is a Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) visa?

You will need a nomination from an Australian state or territory government such as Australia's NT Government.

This is a permanent visa which lets you stay in Australia indefinitely.

If you are nominated for the subclass 190 by the NT Government, you will be expected to live and work in the Territory for at least three years from visa grant.

To get help to find the right visa, use the Australian Government's visa finder.

NT nomination step-by-step guide

  1. Assess your eligibility against the Department of Home Affairs requirements (for example, age, English level, skills assessment and migration points test).
  2. Submit an expression of interest in SkillSelect.
  3. Submit an application for NT Government nomination by the online application system.
  4. If successfully nominated, you will then receive a SkillSelect invitation to apply for your visa.
  5. Return to the Department of Home Affairs website and submit an application for your visa through your Immi account.
  6. The Department of Home Affairs will advise you of the decision on your visa application.
  7. If your visa is granted, you will then be required to meet your long term commitments to living and working in the NT.
Woman and man in the office at desk in front of computer

Page last updated 21 March 2022