NT Migration Occupation List

Australia's Northern Territory (NT) Migration Occupation List includes occupations that are:

If your occupation is not on the NT Migration Occupations List but is on the Department of Home Affairs, Combined current list of eligible skilled occupations and identified as being eligible for subclass 489 (S/T) or subclass 190 visa you can still apply for NT Government nomination.

You must provide strong evidence of good employment prospects in the NT either in your occupation or a closely related skilled occupation.

You can show you have good employment prospects by providing:

  • a statement describing how your skills and experience meet NT employer needs
  • evidence your occupation has been advertised in the NT multiple times and explanation of how your qualifications and experience match the job vacancy - you could provide screen dumps of the job adverts but webpage links are not sufficient
  • feedback from potential NT employers
  • an offer of employment letter from an NT employer
  • evidence of strong, well established family connections in the NT.

Offshore applicants

For a number of occupations on the Northern Territory Migration Occupation List, if you are applying from offshore, you must provide evidence of an offer of employment in your nominated occupation or in a closely related skilled occupation.

International graduates

If you are an international graduate who has not completed at least two years study in Australia's Northern Territory (NT) but you completed your studies in another Australian state, you can apply for nomination.

You need to show that you have lived and worked in the NT in your skilled occupation or a closely related skilled occupation for over six months before applying for nomination.

Read important information if you already live in Australia.

You may also be considered for nomination for the Skilled Regional Nominated (Subclass 489) visa.

If you are an eligible graduates who has undertaken at least two years of tertiary studies, leading to one or more qualifications while living in the NT, you can apply for the Skilled Regional Nominated (Provisional) (Subclass 489) visa or Skilled Nominated (Subclass 190) visa.

NT Government responsibilities

Australia's Northern Territory (NT) Government decides if it will offer you a nomination. Your employment prospects in the NT and NT industry needs are important factors in the decision.

Occupations on the NT Migration Occupation List do not represent specific job vacancies.

A nomination from the NT Government is not a job guarantee. You will have to compete in the NT labour market and you will be responsible for finding your own employment and accommodation.

The NT Government provides information and some assistance to nominated skilled migrants. It does not provide an employment placement service or financial assistance.

Success in finding employment in the NT will depend on employer requirements, your qualifications, skills and experience and your level of English.

By applying for nomination you must acknowledge that the NT Government:

  • nomination relates exclusively to the NT and does not apply outside of the NT
  • is not responsible for finding you employment, accommodation or providing financial assistance
  • is not liable for any inaccuracies or omissions in the information it provides you relating to your application, nor are its employees.

For more details see:

Northern Territory Migration Occupation List

Some occupations on this list require a specific language skill level.

For occupations marked with * on the list, where there is a mandatory licensing or registration requirement (marked with an asterisks and shaded rows in the table), the applicant will be required to demonstrate a level of English either sufficient to meet licensing / registration or a minimum IELTS 6.0 score in each band or equivalent, whichever is higher.

For occupations marked with !!, you need to have high level communication skills.

Where there are no indicators, the required level of English is at least IELTS 6 in each band or equivalent in one of the other English testing systems accepted by the Department of Home Affairs.

If you already live in the Northern Territory

You may be exempt from the specialisation requirements if you can show that you already live and work in the NT and you can demonstrate positive future employment prospects.

Northern Territory Migration Occupation List (A-F)
Northern Territory Migration Occupation List (G-O)
Northern Territory Migration Occupation List (P-Z)